Thursday, February 6, 2014

Review of Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare


Title/Author: Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After #1) by Tessa Dare
Publisher/Date published: Avon, January 28th 2014
How I got this book: received it from the publisher as an egalley
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: In the first in Tessa Dare's captivating Castles Ever After series, a mysterious fortress is the setting for an unlikely love . . .

As the daughter of a famed author, Isolde Ophelia Goodnight grew up on tales of brave knights and fair maidens. She never doubted romance would be in her future, too. The storybooks offered endless possibilities.

And as she grew older, Izzy crossed them off. One by one by one.

Ugly duckling turned swan?
Abducted by handsome highwayman?
Rescued from drudgery by charming prince?


No, no, and… Heh.

Now Izzy’s given up yearning for romance. She’ll settle for a roof over her head. What fairy tales are left over for an impoverished twenty-six year-old woman who’s never even been kissed?

This one.

You guys, I can always count on Tessa Dare to provide me with a cute historical romance and Romancing the Duke was no exception! It had a little less of the funny I've also come to expect from her, but it was still highly entertaining!

I seriously loved the scene in which Isolde and our Duke meet. It is awesome. Seriously. I loved how there is this big misunderstanding that might just be more than a misunderstanding and how it throws these two together. Also, what girl wouldn't want to be given a castle? I mean, sure it's a beast to heat and all, but ROOMS IN TOWERS! I mean EEE!

I really liked Izzy! She's a determined woman whose father forgot to provide for her in his will and who is just looking for a home and a little security. And I get it. I also loved how she dealt with her father's fanbase, because they come across as a bit cuckoo-crazy, but also SO much fun! I mean, I know we have LARP-ing and all that now, and this sounds like a group who was way ahead of their time in that sense. And though Izzy has to learn to stand up for herself and speak up, I loved that she's so good to these people and boy did I love how they were so ready to stand up for her and help her!

I also loved that our duke has a physical handicap. He's practically blind and it was really interesting to see how he coped with that in a time that had basically no treatment or visual aids for this kind of thing. Also, I loved how he 'saw' Izzy's inner beauty and the development of their relationship was just so sweet and *sigh* I loved it. I really liked how they figured what was going on out together and there's a sort of biggish reveal that I kinda saw coming, but not completely and it was fun!

Romancing the Duke was just what I needed it to be at the right time: a sweet, swoonworthy historical romance that made me sigh and smile and while it may not have been my favourite Tessa Dare book, it was still a really good read!

My rating: 4,5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Okay, you've convinced me -- I need to read this book! Romancing the Duke sounds super cute, and unique among the historical romances out in the world. I definitely want to check it out, stat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't going to give it a try but you intrigued me with the hero, I hope I like it, as I have never finished clicking with Tessa Dare all the way.

    Thanks for the review, Daisy.

    ReplyDelete