Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Review of False Memory by Dan Krokos


Title/Author: False Memory (False Memory #1) by Dan Krokos
Publisher/Date published: Disney Hyperion, August 14th 2012
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: "Miranda wakes up alone on a park bench with no memory. In her panic, she releases a mysterious energy that incites pure terror in everyone around her. Except Peter, a boy who isn’t at all surprised by Miranda’s shocking ability.
Left with no choice but to trust this stranger, Miranda discovers she was trained to be a weapon and is part of an elite force of genetically - altered teens who possess flawless combat skills and powers strong enough to destroy a city. But adjusting to her old life isn’t easy — especially with Noah, the boyfriend she can’t remember loving.
Then Miranda uncovers a dark truth that sets her team on the run. Suddenly her past doesn’t seem to matter... when there may not be a future."

Guys, I went in knowing that an author who has a similar reading taste to mine was completely in love with False Memory. So of course I expected to at least like it a lot. And I'm happy to tell you all that False Memory totally lived up to my expectations!

The pace in False Memory never slows down! I was kept on the edge of my seat, not wanting to put it down, because there were all these things happening and I HAD TO know what was going on! I read a large part of it during my 24-hour shift at the hospital and let me tell you it was a good way to stay awake! I was VERY tempted to stay up and read through the night.

I liked that we're just as clueless as Miranda is after her memory loss and discover everything along with her. It took a while for me to connect to her, because her personality developed as the story progressed and she got more memory flashes. The only thing that somewhat bothered me was that if, like Miranda, I discovered someone had cause my memory loss on purpose, I'd be SO ANGRY! Seriously. And I'd want to know right away what possessed them to do such a thing. She sorta gets a lame explanation early on, but nothing beyond that. I don't think I would have accepted that.

There's a HUGE love traingle going on, while it slightly annoyed me at times, I could understand being torn between the two guys, because they both have their endearing qualities and she has memories of both of them. I know who I'm rooting for though ;)

Guys, I did not see all the twists and turns coming. Some of them left me staring at the screen of my ereader going 'SAY WHAT??'. It was SO GOOD! It got creepier and creepier the more we were told of what exactly was going on and I just loved it! False Memory was killing me while reading it, but in a good way. A VERY good way! (Side note: when I told Dan Krokos this on Twitter he responded with: If it starts to kill you in a bad way, set the book on fire and RUN!)

There's so much creepy still left unexplained, though I do feel that the storyline in this first part of the series got wrapped up nicely. After finishing False Memory I'm left NEEDING more, so the wait till August 2013 will be a looooong one...

My rating: 4,5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm definitely looking forward to reading this book! It sounds SO GOOD, and a lot of people I know really liked it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good! and since I'm trying to read out of my comfort zone I think I'm going to give this one a try.
    Thanks for the review, Daisy =)

    ReplyDelete