Sunday, August 7, 2011

Cat's Tale by Bettie Sharpe



Title/Author: Cat's Tale: A Fairytale Retold by Bettie Sharpe
Publisher/Date published: Carina Press, June 27th 2011
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: "Once upon a time there was a scheming, lying tart who cared for nothing but her own pleasures and her shoe collection.
Once the peerlessly beautiful Lady Catriona, consort to the king, Cat's fortunes fall far when her aged husband dies. The king's wizard turns her into a cat and tries to drown her in the mill pond. Fortunately Cat is a clever survivor and enlists the help of Julian, the miller's youngest son, in her plan for revenge.
She originally sees Julian as a mere pawn for her plans to break her curse, but as they work together Cat comes to know and care for him. Even if the curse can be broken, can a good-hearted man love a woman who has been as vain and selfish as Cat?"

I almost never read novellas, because well, I like my books to be longer. I invest in getting to know these characters and connecting with them and I like staying with them for a while. This was a really quick read, I think it took me about 3 hours.

For a fairytale, this contained a lot of sex and lusty men and women. And I hadn't exactly expected this, so I neede a little mental adjustment, but after that it was alright, though I'd have liked it if the sex was a little less graphic.

Apart from this, the story was pretty nice. I liked that Cat knew exactly who she was and what she wanted and made no excuses for her behaviour. I really liked Julian and the way he cared for Cat when she was a cat. He's a loyal friend and wanted to do the honorable thing. I also liked Cat's stepdaughter, the princess, she was snarky!

This was an entertaining read without much depth to it, Cat as a cat was really amusing and I enjoyed the interaction between her and Julian.

My rating: 3 stars

2 comments:

  1. :) Nice review. It sounds like a fun, uncomplicated read.
    I think i had seen this one in Net Galley, but for some reason I never asked for it, maybe because I'm more of a dog person. LOL

    anyway, I Think I'm going to look for this one, it sounds like something I would enjoy.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review, sounds like some nice short brain candy!

    ReplyDelete