Saturday, January 8, 2011

Once Upon A Scandal by Delilah Marvelle



Title/Author: Once Upon A Scandal by Delilah Marvelle
Publisher/Date published: Janary 25th 2011 by HQN Books
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley
Why I read this book: guilty pleasure.

Goodreads summary: "Lady Victoria Jane Emerson left behind her girlish notions of romance when Jonathan deserted her without a backward glance. Now the time has come when she must finally choose a husband, and she has vowed to marry someone who will never break her heart.
Jonathan Pierce Thatcher, Viscount Remington, has returned home, free of all his family's debts. Only to discover that by some miracle he has been chosen to vie for the hand of his beloved Victoria. To convince his only love to once again believe in the magic of love and the promise of desire will be his greatest challenge yet. And one he cannot fail!"

The author herself explained in the book (and in the first book in the series Prelude to a Scandal) that it was her intention to introduce new ideas into the romance novel, which she herself found interesting concepts. I don't really read this kind of book to get new ideas, but I'm openminded. And while I didn't think it really necessary for the storyline, this one turned out better than Prelude to a Scandal, which I didn't really enjoy.

Jonathan's pursuit of Victoria in their younger years is really sweet and I was so rooting for him and her to get it right, while I knew from the summary that they would be forced apart. Victoria is a sweet girl and both are yet unspoiled by the cruel reality of society. To be young and clueless again..

Anyway, 5 years of separation have hardened Victoria and left Jonathan with more knowledge of the ways of the world than he would have liked. They apparantly used to have this custom in Venice of married women having a man as a companion, and sometimes (or perhaps often) performing all the husband-duties. Jonathan doesn't want Victoria to know about his past. When he returns to her and her father forces her to marry someone or else bye-bye inheritance, how will they work things out?

I did enjoy the chemistry between the two, I'm glad I decided to read it, because I'd been a bit wary after not enjoying the first book. The idea Marvelle introduced is a bit appalling and I had never heard of it being common practice back in the day in Venice before.

My rating: 3.5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Aww, that thing about him sort of being a kept man sort of puts me off. :( Sad. Because I do like the cover and I like second-chance stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His being that is mentioned in the story, but we don't follow him at the time that it actually took place. So don't let it put you off, it is part of the story, but not dominating it.

    ReplyDelete