Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Top Ten Books of 2010



It is that time of the week again! Time for another Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the other blog I participate in: The Broke and The Bookish. Hop on over and join in on the fun!

This week's Top Ten:
Best Books You've Read in 2010

I always love looking back on the year and thinking about what I've been reading. Can you believe I've read 91 books this year?? This is the first year I've kept track of, so I don't know what I usually read, but I think it's been a good year reading-wise.

Anyway, here's the best (at least, in my opinion) what I've read this year:

1. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett: this book totally blew me away, I thought it was amazing. This one has new favourite status. I'd rant about it, but I've already done that here. I also watched the series, while not as amazing as the book, at least my boyfriend got to experience the story, since there's no way I'll ever get him to read a book that long.

2. A Game Of Thrones by George R.R. Martin: I love fantasy and this is just epic! I haven't gotten around to reading the second book in the series, partly because I know it will probably take ages before the series will be finished (Martin hasn't published a book in the series for 5 years and there's no release date yet for the next one) and though I love his writing, waiting kills me.

3. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier: I cannot believe it took me this long to read this book, it was amazing! I'll definitely reread it, if you're interested, check out my review here.

4. Graceling by Kristin Cashore: SOOO good! I loved Katsa so much. And Po, you gotta love Po. I'm really looking forward to reading more of Cashore's work.

5. The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan: I'm gonna group these, cause I like to cheat :) I LOVED these books. I've always loved Greek mythology and this series rekindled that love. READ IT.

6. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss: I've been praising this book all year, since I read it right at the beginning. And have been not so patiently waiting for the sequel to be published. This is fantasy as it's meant to be written. The writing is incredibly engaging and I guarantee you'll love the characters. Again, READ IT.

7. The Mermaid's Mirror by L.K. Madigan: as a kid I used to love The Little Mermaid. I thought I'd gotten over my extreme love for mermaids. But I was wrong, this book took me right back to that amazing world and it was beautiful.

8. You Wish by Mandy Hubbard: read it recently and really enjoyed this book. While it may not be the most life-changing book and it looks like a candy read (the cover is hot pink with a cupcake on it), there's more to it than you'd think. Plus anyone who brings a pink pony with a icecream cone on its butt to life gets browny points.

9. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins: though there's been a lot of criticism, I loved this book. And waiting for it gave such a community feeling to me, almost a bit like what it felt like waiting for the next Harry Potter book.

10. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: again: CANNOT believe it took me this long to get to it. This book was amazing. And I cried. And I'd wanted Rudy to be MY best friend when I was little.

So, that's my list. Any you've read? What's the best book you've read this year?

10 comments:

  1. The Pillars of the Earth is on my list as well. I just finished it & loved it!
    I also have The Hunger Games series on my list - Mockingjay was my favorite of the three. I was surprised so many people were disappointed in it!
    Great list! I have read a couple others on it & have a few more on my tbr.

    Through the Pages: My Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading through these lists of books others enjoyed this year.

    Here is my Top Ten of 2010 post: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/12/top-ten-books-ive-read-in-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Book Thief and the Percy Jackson series. Yes yes YES :D I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list, Daisy! I completely agree with "Rebecca", "Graceling", "Percy Jackson" series, and The "Book Thief"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been waiting to start A Game of Thorns for a few months. Glad to see it on your list though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! Name of the Wind and Percy Jackson are both great. I want to read Martin one of these days and definitely need to read The Book Thief. I read Rebecca years ago, it's a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You wish was in my Best of 2010 list too!! :D and you made me curious about the Mermaid's Mirror, I'll try to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't participate in the Top Ten list this week, but if I had I think Mockingjay would have made my list for its sheer epicness. I haven't read You Wish yet but it sounds like such a fun premise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't The Book Thief good? I still think it is one of my Top Ten YA books of the past decade.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also loved The Book Thief and Rebecca :)

    Hope you have a wonderful New Year's weekend!

    ReplyDelete